IG was established in 1974 and has maintained its stand as an industry-leading broker with a growing client base of over 230,000+ active traders worldwide. IG is also known for being a trusted and transparent broker, as it’s regulated by top-tier financial regulatory authorities globally, and is also a publicly listed company on the London Stock Exchange.
IG offers spread betting, CFD trading, and stockbroking with over 17,000+ instruments to trade from. With IG, traders get access to industry-standard trading platforms, tight spreads, low commissions, low margins, fast order execution, low latency, and a helpful customer support team.
IG Broker Details
|Head Office||Cannon Bridge House 25 Dowgate Hill London|
|Regulations||CFTC (U.S.), NFA (U.S.), and FCA (U.K.).|
|Trading Desk Type||ASIC (Australia), FCA (United Kingdom), |
|Trading Platforms||ProRealTime, L2 Dealer, MetaTrader 4|
|Available Products||CFDs, Spreadbetting, Barriers and Vanilla Options|
|Asset Classes||Forex, Indices, Shares, Commodities, Futures|
|Leverage||Retail & EU Traders – 1:30|
US Traders – 1:50
Professional Traders – 1:222
|Minimum Trade Size||0.01|
|Demo Account||Available – Open Demo Account|
|Card Payments and Bank Wire Transfer.|
IG Pros & Cons
- Fully licensed and regulated globally.
- Access to industry-standard proprietary and third-party trading platforms.
- High trading fees compared to other industry standard brokers.
IG License and Regulation.
IG is licensed and regulated by multiple top-tier financial regulatory bodies around the world, these includes;
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
- Autorité des Marchés Financiers and Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Resolution (Banque de France)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Financial Markets Authority (FMA)
- Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA)
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Japanese Financial Services Authority (JFSA)
IG Account Types
IG provides clients with separate account types for all products offered on their platform. The account types offered include;
- CFD Trading Account
- Spread Betting Account and
- Share Dealing Account (Can be used to buy and sell actual shares of companies).
What Can You Trade With IG?
IG offers over 17,000+ markets which can be traded through the different financial products offered on the platform.
- CFDs – Forex, Indices, Shares CFDs, Commodities, Cryptocurrencies CFDs.
- Spread betting – Forex, Indices, Shares, Commodities, Cryptocurrencies.
- Vanilla Options – Forex Indices, Commodities.
- Barriers – Forex, Indices, Commodities, and Shares.
IG Spreads and Commissions
With IG, traders pay a spread on every non-share CFD and pay commission on every share CFD trade. Below are examples of how spreads, commission and margins are charged by IG. For more information please refer to their website here.
per side from
|US||2 cents per share||US$15||From 10%|
|Min spread||Average spread||Margin required|
|Market name||Value of one contract||Best available spread||Margin per contract|
|Market name||Value of one contract||Spread||Margin per contract|
|Oil – US Crude||US$10||2.8||1.5%|
|Oil – Brent Crude||US$10||2.8||1.5%|
IG Trading Fees
When picking a broker, it is important to know what fees are charged by the broker in order to avoid paying unnecessary fees. IG offers a very transparent fee structure with no hidden fees charged. Fees charged by the broker can be seen in the table below.
|Direct Market Access (DMA)||IG does not charge for using DMA to trade forex, CFDs and shares, although in order to access live DMA prices for certain shares you’ll need to pay a monthly exchange fee.|
|Live price data feeds||To obtain live share prices from an exchange via a share dealing account incurs a monthly fee.|
|ProRealTime Charts||Subscribing to the broker ProReal-time charts costs $40 per month which is refunded if you place four or more trades a month.|
|Inactivity fee||An inactivity fee of $18 is charged on the first of every month, if there is no trading activity performed on the traders account in the space of two years or more.|
|Account documentation fee||IG Charges a $50 (US) fee on accounts which have not supplied a mandatory W-8 or W-9 form prior to the dividend ex-date of a qualifying trade on a US-incorporated stock.|
IG Account Deposit and Withdrawals
IG provides traders with fast deposits and withdrawals at no cost, as there are no fees charged for processing deposits and withdrawals. IG also offers a flexible deposit and withdrawal options as traders have the options to process payment through a variety of popular funding methods which includes debit cards, credit cards, Paypal and Bank transfers.
In addition, the minimum initial deposit required by IG is £250 or the equivalent in other currencies. Also, if funding by credit card, a maximum of £30,000 can be deposited per day and up to £99,999, if funding is done with a debit card and larger payments can be processed via bank transfers.
IG Trading Platforms
IG offers three advanced trading platform which consists of their proprietary trading platforms and a third-party trading platform. Trading platforms available on IG include;
- L2 Dealer
- MetaTrader 4
The ProRealTime (PRT) trading platform offered by IG is an advanced web-based charting package offering powerful monitoring tools, flexible access and advanced analysis resources. The trading platform is suitable for technical chart traders. Also, it comes with a $40 monthly fee, but if you trade CFDs at least four times a month then you would be refunded.
The L2 Dealer trading platform offered by IG is a free downloadable platform that offers direct market access (DMA) with access to trade forex and share CFDs. The trading platform comes with great trading features including helpful monitoring tools such as watchlists, price alerts, orders and more.
IG Trading Platforms Details
|Proprietary Trading Platform||Yes|
IG Customer Support
IG provides their traders with a multi-lingual customer support team, available 24 hours from 8 am on Saturday to 10 pm on Friday.
The customer support team can be reached via live chat, e-mail and telephone and has a fairly average response rate when compared to other industry-standard brokers, as they are room for improvements, more especially with their response rate.
IG has been around for more than four decades and has maintained a wonderful reputation in the trading industry, which is evident from the number of worldwide active traders they’ve amassed over the years. The broker is suitable for all types of traders (beginner, intermediate and professional) due to its advanced but easy to use interface.
IG is also considered safe and reliable as it is fully licensed and regulated by top-tier regulatory bodies across the globe. They are also listed on a stock exchange which means they disclose their financials, making them a very transparent broker to work with.
- Is IG a regulated broker?
Yes, IG is regulated globally by top tier regulatory bodies across the world, including the;
– Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
– Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
– Autorité des Marchés Financiers and Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Resolution (Banque de France)
– Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
– Financial Markets Authority (FMA)
– Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA)
– Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
– Japanese Financial Services Authority (JFSA)
- What is IG Minimum Deposit?
The minimum initial deposit required by IG is £250 or the equivalent in other currencies.
- How long do withdrawals take on IG?
IG offers a very fast withdrawal processing time, although the time taken to process withdrawals might differ, depending on the withdrawal methods being used. For instance;
– Withdrawals to PayPal are usually instant and should clear within 24 hours at most.
– Withdrawals back to a card take between 2 – 5 bank working days to clear.
– Withdrawals by bank transfer, if requested before 12 pm UK time on a bank working day, should reach you on the same day, but can take up to 3 days to clear.
- Does IG accept US traders?
Yes, IG accepts US traders and is licensed and regulated in the United States under CFTC and NFA.
- How do I open an IG live account?
To open an IG live account;
– Visit their website here,
– Click the 'create a live account' button at the top right corner of the website.
– Fill the form by inputting the correct details requested by IG.
– Verify your identity. This would require you to submit personal documents (might take a while, but it's usually instant).
– After verification, you can fund your account and start trading.
- Does IG allow scalping?
Yes, IG Allows Scalping.
- Does IG allow hedging?
Yes, IG allows hedging.